No More Avoiding the Onion with Cook Dazzle’s Onion Cooking Tips and Tools
Onions add delicious flavor to so many recipes and are used in many dishes, but watery, irritated eyes can be enough to make you want to give up on onions for good. You can purchase pre-chopped onions from the supermarket, but those tend to be very expensive. Follow these easy tips for cooking with onions with ease.
- Wear Onion Goggles
- Always use sharp knives when cutting onions. Using a dull knife will crush the onion cells, rather than cutting cleanly through them, releasing more eye-irritating enzymes
- Chop onions beneath running water
- Chill an onion in the fridge before chopping it to minimize the amount of gas released into the air
- Run a fan in the kitchen while you are chopping onions to disperse the gasses
- Light a candle when chopping the onion. The gas released by the onion will be drawn into the flame of the candle
- After chopping onions, get rid of that pesky odor by rubbing a slice of lemon on your hands
Quick Chemistry Lesson: Why do onions make your eyes water and burn?
When you cut an onion, you are breaking cells and releasing enzymes which combine to create sulfuric acid that wafts towards your eyes. Your eyes begin to water as your body’s natural defense against the irritant.
For more handy cooking tools and essential cookware items visit http://www.cookdazzle.com/.