A chef’s knife can be used for most cutting chores. It can be used for slicing, chopping, dicing, mincing, julienne cuts, disjointing large cuts of meat and even smashing garlic.
Most of the chef’s knives are 6 to 10 inches long , the most popular being 8 inches. I recommend every home cook start with an 8 inch chef’s knife and get used to how it feels before moving on to something bigger. At first, an 8 inch chef’s knife may feel heavy and awkward in your hand but as you practice with it, it will start to feel natural.
What type of blade? – There are many types of metal used for making knife blades. Here are a few with advantages and disadvantages:
Carbon Steel – Very tough and take a great edge but tend to discolor when they come in contact with anything acidic like tomatoes or citrus fruit. They tend to rust if not in use for a while so they must be taken care of to avoid discoloration but being sure to clean and dry them after every use.
Stainless Steel – We all know why boats use stainless steel fittings. They don’t rust so taking care of them is a lot less effort. However, what you gain in usability, you loose in edge. They are difficult to keep a good sharp edge.
High carbon Stainless Steel – Ah, the best of both worlds. Tough, hold an edge and they don’t discolor. A good choice for a knife blade. The carbon adds strength to stainless but also more cost.
Titanium – Much lighter than steel, holds its edge, and more wear resistant. Flexible, so it is a better choice for boning and filieting knives.
Classic Ikon 6in Cook’s Knife
Our Price: $129.99
- Heavy 6-inch blade superior for chopping and other cutting tasks
- Forged high-carbon stainless steel blade, hand-honed for razor-like sharpness
- Traditional-style composition handle is triple-riveted for strength and permanence
- Dishwasher safe
Part of the Classic series, this knife represents two centuries of unexcelled Wusthof craftsmanship. Like other cutlery in the series, it’s hand-forged from a single piece of stainless steel for maximum strength; the hand-polished blade is exactingly calibrated to be hard enough to resist dulling yet soft enough to take a keen edge when it’s honed or sharpened. Dishwasher-safe and with a traditionally shaped, ergonomically designed handle that is triple-riveted for durability, this knife brings a guaranteed lifetime of low-maintenance cutting to any cook who owns it.
Classic Ikon 8″ Cooks Knife
- Versatile, workhorse 8-inch cook’s knife, ideal for slicing, mincing, and dicing all kinds of food
- Double bolsters provide heft and balance for effortless cutting; full tang extends through the handle
- Triple-riveted black handle with innovative contoured design for comfortable, secure grip
- Hand washing recommended; backed by limited lifetime warranty
Create culinary masterpieces in your home with this professional-quality Wusthof Classic Ikon 8-inch cook’s knife. The workhorse of all knives, no kitchen should be without this manual food processor. Perfectly balanced, an extension of your hand, it’s ideal for slicing, mincing, and dicing all kinds of food. The hollow edge creates pockets of air which prevent extra thin or soft slices from sticking to the blade. It’s complemented by a riveted black handle design with a contoured shape to add comfort and control, and it’s backed by a lifetime warranty.
Wusthof Classic Ikon 10″ Cook’s KnifeOur Price: $225.00
- 10-inch cook’s knife for everything from fine chopping to dicing and slicing
- Precision forged from a single piece of high-carbon stainless steel
- Full-tang, triple-riveted synthetic handle affords superior strength and balance
- Washing by hand recommended; made in Germany
- Measures approximately 16 by 3 by 1 inches; limited lifetime warrantyA cook’s knife is the indispensable backbone of any cutlery collection. It performs a wide variety of cutting chores, from fine chopping to dicing and slicing. The heavy 10-inch blade of this definitive example provides sturdy heft so the knife rather than the cook does most of the work. The extra blade length makes quick work of all cutting jobs. The knife looks formidable, but it’s a pleasure to hold and use–a true kitchen friend.
Wusthof Classic 6 Inch Cooks Knife
The Classic triple-riveted knife series features:
Precision forged from a single piece of sturdy high-carbon steel that resists stains and corrosion
- Wusthof’s Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) creates an extraordinarily sharp blade that retains its edge 30% longer
- Special alloyed, stainless steel
- Durable polymer handle is contoured for a comfortable grip
- Seamless, hygienic fit of the handle
- Full tang is triple riveted to the handle for exceptional durability and control
- For professional chefs and home cooking enthusiasts
- Made in Solingen, Germany
Wusthof Classic 8 Inch Cook’s KnifeThis knife is produced by one of the most respected cutlery manufacturers in the world. Made of high carbon stainless-steel, it will not stain, pit or rust and will hold its edge. The metal used to construct the blade extends to the back of the handle which gives the knife perfect balance. The bolster which is the point that rests between your fingers and the blade is smooth and comfortable which makes this knife a pleasure to use when dicing, slicing and mincing. Wusthof’s newest state of the art technology incorporates a new computer controlled method for putting the edge on Classic knives. This technology allows for an exacting edge from the tip of the knife down to the heel of the knife. With this newer precision, the knives are made sharper to 14 degrees per side for a total of 28 degrees. The knives are now sharper and this refinement increases the sharpness retention because exacting angles and edges last longer than edges sharpened by hand
Wusthof Grand Prix II 8″ Chef’s Knife
As part of the Wusthof Grand Prix II collection, the knife’s blade, bolster, and tang come precision-forged from a single piece of specially tempered high-carbon steel to ensure outstanding strength and balance. Wusthof knives offer sharp, precisely tempered blades for safe, efficient use. Laser tested for accuracy, the unique, compound angle of the blade tapers from the spine of the knife to the edge to create a sturdy, yet extremely sharp cutting surface. Another thoughtful detail includes the hygienically seamless, full-tang, synthetic handles, which are ergonomically designed for a secure, comfortable grip. Made in Solingen Germany, “The Cutlery Capital of the World”, Wusthof knives carry a lifetime warranty and should be hand washed for best results.
Wusthof Grand Prix II 10″ Cook’s KnifeOur Price: $155.00
- The “Grand Prix 2” 10-inch Cooks knife has an ultra fine edge that is perfect for both chopping and slicing and meats and vegetables.
- Blade, bolster and tang forged out of a single piece of high carbon German no stain steel.
- Ergonomic slip resistant handles for strength and durability
- Laser tested edge for uniform cutting and long-lasting sharp edge.
- Made in Solingen Germany
Wusthof: Gourmet 6″ Cook’s Knife
Like other knives in Wusthof’s Gourmet collection, the knife features a special blend of high-carbon German stainless steel throughout the whole length of the knife for exceptional strength and balance. Wusthof knives also provide sharp, precisely tempered blades for safe, efficient use. Laser tested for accuracy, the unique, compound angle of the blade tapers from the spine of the knife to the edge to create a sturdy, yet extremely sharp cutting surface. Another thoughtful detail includes the handles, which come riveted and ergonomically designed for a secure, comfortable grip. Made in Solingen Germany, “The Cutlery Capital of the World”, Wusthof knives carry a limited lifetime warranty and should be hand washed for best results.
Wusthof Gourmet 8″ Cook’s KnifeOur Price: $85.00
- 20cms (7.9-Inch) cook’s knife for slicing, chopping, and quartering fruits, vegetables, and meats
- Stamped from high-carbon steel with a stain-resistant alloy
- Synthetic polypropylene handle is triple riveted for durability
- Precisely tapered from base to tip; no bolster
- Made in Germany; hand wash for best results; limited lifetime warranty
Chef’s knives usually come in lengths from 6 inches to 12 inches and are about 1 inch wide. How long it should be depends on what you are going to do with it and how comfortable it feels in your hand.
Want to compare other Wusthof Knives?