Sweet potatoes make delicious fried treats for Hannukah!
Sweet Potato Latkes
For a sweet and spicy version of potato pancakes, combine shredded sweet potatoes with eggs, brown sugar, flour, ground cloves and cinnamon. Form into patties and fry in oil until perfectly crispy. Try serving with butter, maple syrup or whipped cream.
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil for frying
- Place sweet potatoes in a colander. Place a cheesecloth over the potatoes, and squeeze the potatoes to release as much liquid as possible. Let the potatoes sit to release more liquid, then squeeze again.
- In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, eggs, brown sugar, flour, cloves and cinnamon; mix well.
- Heat oil in large heavy skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Form mixture into pancake size cakes, and fry in hot oil. Flip cakes after 2 to 3 minutes (when bottom is browned) and brown other side. Drain on paper towels, and serve piping hot!